Monday 27 April 2009

The Music Played in B&Q

This morning, after an agreeable breakfast of poached eggs on toast, I sallied forth to my local branch of B&Q, the well known 'DIY' and garden store. I often pop in to see what plants they have in stock, and thought I would do as such before commencing my writing for the day. Now, whilst I enjoy perusing the small shrubs, cottage garden perennials, alpines and herbs, this otherwise pleasant experience is usually tarnished a little by the piped music that is played throughout the store and indeed outside in the gardening department - partly because said music is played a little too loud, but mainly because I find the choice of music played quite disagreeable.

During my visit this morning the music seemed even more irritating and unwelcome than usual - so much so in fact that I became unable to concentrate on choosing which plants I might wish to purchase. After losing interest in weighing up the pros and cons of buying either a honeysuckle or a rambling rose to grow up a particular spot on the garden fence, I decided to leave the store. However, at that moment a young man who looked like he might be a junior manager of some kind walked into the gardening department, and so instead of leaving I resolved to have words with this chap about my displeasure with B&Q's musical policy.

"Ah! I say there! Young man! Are you a manager?"

"Yes sir" he replied, "I'm the deputy manager of this store".

To me he seemed a little young to be employed in such an elevated position, being quite baby-faced in appearance, and sporting the kind of spiky, off-kilter hairstyle so beloved by today's youth (yet which gives them the appearance of storm damaged sea urchins). The badge pinned to his shirt confirmed, however, that he was indeed the deputy manager, and so I proceeded to state my case.

"Right. Well, without wishing to sound too critical of your otherwise sound establishment, I wish to register a complaint with you regarding the music that is played in this store. Not only is it a little too loud and intrusive, the choice of songs and artistes is in my opinion poor. It seems to mostly consist of either bland, vapid, irritating pop numbers, or else even blander male singer-songwriter fellows and their depressing, pointless whining".

"Oh" he replied, looking a little crestfallen, "well I'm sorry that the music is not to your taste. I will pass on your complaint to the rest of the management team, and if there are any more complaints about the volume we will certainly look into turning it down slightly. I'm not sure we can do much about the choice of music though I'm afraid - we choose it specifically to appeal to as wide a cross section of our customers as possible. We can't please everyone all the time though unfortunately!".

He made this last point in a light-hearted, conciliatory tone of voice, though did not seem to fully take on board my issues with the choice of music played. I pressed on with my complaint.

"Hmmm. Well young man, far be it from me to question the musical tastes of the wider public, but I refuse to believe that many people can have a pleasant time browsing through the potted plants whilst being forced to listen to such depressing and irritating music. Who, for example, is this being played at the moment?".

"That's James Morrison" he said, rather defensively, "he's a very popular singer-songwriter. I've got the CD case on me here".

I inspected the CD sleeve, which contained a picture of an amiable enough looking young man with a shaggy mop of hair. The song currently playing by the aforementioned Mr Morrison seemed though to offend both my mind and my body, and somehow began to make me feel a little off colour.

"Well, I'm sure he's a decent and nice enough young chap. His music however is giving me indigestion. I came to your store this morning with a view to perhaps purchase some plants, not to compromise my constitution - yet this is the effect the piped music in this store is having. Now may I suggest to you that if you really must play music throughout the store, it be of a considerably higher quality than what is currently offered, and it also be somewhat more appropriate if it is to soundtrack the relaxed perusal of plants".

The young deputy manager appeared to be getting a little uncomfortable with being criticised in this manner, and asked me what music I would consider more fitting for them to play in the store (perhaps as a way of bringing our conversation to a quick conclusion).

"Well young man, Britain is an island of gardeners and fine gardens, and Britain has also produced many great composers who have through their music expressed their love of landscape and nature. To me the two go rather well together, so I would suggest you play some Vaughan Williams, some Elgar, and perhaps some Frank Bridge or Arnold Bax. Such music would not only complement the act of buying horticultural goods but perhaps even elevate it to the level of a purer artistic contemplation of beauty and the natural world".

He looked at me a little perplexed, and seemed unsure how to respond. I continued.

"Alternatively, if you really wanted to play some pop music, then you can't do much better than The Kinks. Now they were excellent songwriters, and in my opinion one of the best bands from the 1960s".

"Oh right" - he seemed a little surer about this suggestion - "Well we don't have anything by The Kinks, but we do have a Best of The Beatles CD which we occasionally play".

"Yes" I replied, "that would be an improvement. The Beatles are ok - I met them once, as it happens - though for me The Kinks were always the superior band.......".

I momentarily drifted away, remembering events in my life in the 1960s. The deputy manager took the opportunity to end our conversation.

"Right - well thank you for bringing your complaint to our attention - I'll go and try and find the Beatles CD and see if we can get it played for you. Ok, thank you sir, bye bye".

And off he went, not looking back. I waited in the gardening section of my local branch of B&Q to see if anything would happen. I did not hear any songs by The Beatles. Nor did I see the deputy manager again. After about half an hour it began to rain a little, though I continued to wait for a while longer whilst pretending to inspect the honeysuckles and the roses that I'd long since lost interest in, and wished that I'd remembered to bring an umbrella.

After forty-five minutes I decided to leave, feeling fed up and a little defeated. As I walked through the store towards the exit a song came on that grabbed my attention, and I was a little surprised that it had as it seemed to be a loud modern pop number. It did have however a very catchy beat, and I found myself walking in a slightly rhythmic, almost dancing fashion as I neared the checkouts. In no more than a minute this song had cheered me considerably, so I was intrigued to find out who it was by. I asked a lady at the checkout if she knew who the artiste was.

"It's Janet Jackson" she replied, "The song's called 'What Have You Done For Me Lately', though you can probably work that out from the lyrics! It's a few years old this song, I remember being at school in the 80s when it came out".

I thanked her, and walked to the exit, though before leaving I waited for the song to end, tapping my feet, and tried hard not to appear like I was enjoying it too much! I then walked home whistling the tune and with a spring in my step. I didn't purchase any plants today, though I have perhaps expanded my musical horizons a little - and the strange thing is I have B&Q to thank for that.

31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honeysuckle - and perhaps hollyhocks for your good lady wife. Well done for objecting to this aural diarrhoea, Mr. Sallow. How about suggesting Vaughan Williams's 'Flos Campi', as it means 'I am the flower of the field"?

    Was this young upstart suggesting that music tastes can be averaged out? How very bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a thought... your comments about the alrming youthfulness of the deputy manager struck a real chord. Many large stores seem to be staffed by barely weaned people who have little expertise in their chosen field of sales employment. However, I must say that this isn't always the case in DIY shops; I have noted many a grizzled head sticking out of a B&Q sweatshirt in my local store, and I have even felt compelled (longish of tooth as I am) to help some of the said assistants when they are struggling to lift sacks of gravel off a flat barrow and onto a display heap. None of the grizzled people seem to have managerial positions though, as you may note. I also loved the pictures of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work at my local b and q and i thought it best to let you know that they do infact play the same songs in every b and q in the country, its not controlled by a cd instore, more of a satellite radio so unfortunately we are not able to change to songs that are being played, and trust me, after hearing them everyday i really wish we could! so please bare that in mind next time you visit your local store because theres nothing we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also work in B&Q and the terrible music is now played at the same time every day. So I know which song is going to be played by what time I start.... SAD! Beyonce is so unpleasant! Then there's one about a young American and those seem to be the only words in the song. There's one that the only words I can hear what she says is in the chorus... something about "ting tong, hey ting tong now". The beatles get played.... paperback writer which disgusts me! We do have a couple of good songs on including one by the kinks. I also quite like should I stay or should I go but when it comes on at 7am every morning, it gets negative association.
    I completely agree that they should play classical music. That way, people that don't want to listen find it easier to tune out rather than being forced to listen to a lot of RnB... which may be popular with today's youth.... most of whom don't go in BnQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing a song in B&Q by a black artist with a deep voice and in the wailing soulful lyrics he sings the words 'but this is not love'. Can any one help me to identify the artist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it happen to be the Imagesound AHD1's "Error Track"? Matthew - The Man by Iona?

      Delete
  7. I can understand how you feel about the music played in BQ stores, but for me it was not only the type of music but the repetitive nature of it! The last 2 to 3 years I have been popping in and out of BQ for odd things every month or so and it gets on my nerves. In fact it was so bad that it seemed they only ever played about 4 songs randomly… there was this one particular song that I would always hear every time in 20 -25 min. If I stayed longer I’d hear it 2 or 3 times. But what about the poor staff who have to hear it and who have no means or voice to do anything about it? But it seems that it is not just BQ it is many other large stores as well. Last week I was Christmas shopping and I went to PC World, Range, Homebase, and finally Tesco and they were ALL playing the same gaudy raucous pop Christmas music over and over just like they have done for more than 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be thankful that you weren't subjected to repeats of Boney M - Mary's Boy Child (Jesus Christ) several times an hour. It was the thing that caused me to kick in a nativity scene. I was then informed that "Christmas is ruined."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Informed by cunts, I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cunts who did not have to listen to Boney M - Mary's Boy Child (Jesus Christ) several times an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. B&Q's music is done by a PC-based system, the Imagesound AHD1. Your store, unfortunately took advantage of the MP3 INPUT plug on the back! The music that IS ACTUALLY SELECTED BY B&Q and NOT THE MANAGER is very good! I recently heard "You to me are everything" "Lovely Day" etc...

    My youtube video entitled "The Instrumental Music that plays in lots of shops" will enlighten you, there is also a page on blogspot discussing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In store music is always a topical debate and the sad thing is you really will never please everyone. I work for a different high street retailer and indeed we also use the AHD1 from Imagesound - but the preloaded music is dreadful and so like other people have suggested we use the input socket to play our own much better music much more like what the customer want but even then... If I have 8 customers tapping their feet and mock dancing, i'll still get one or two who come straight to the desk and say how can you work with this awful music on. A silent store is an awful store to work in and shop - nobody wants to hear each others conversations or large hollow footprint sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron Birse / RediffusionMusic30 April 2012 at 16:40

      Hello, yeah working in a quiet store is pretty bad - but in our local Wickes both music items have something wrong with them- Iona's Matthew - The Man always seem to play along with a ton of other holding stream tracks that it has, but the worst thing? it is HORRIFYINGLY, DISGUSTINGLY, UNBEARABLY distorted. they have run their AHD1 into a switchable microphone/music input and obviously the engineer was a dimwit and has pressed the microphone input button. so whenever they pick up the phone and hit the page button, all you can hear is the chime signalling, the voices are horribly crackly and distorted, and the "priority" contacts in the microphone DIN plug get ignored because the amp recognises the AHD1 as a microphone, so that distorted music, distorted announcements and the music doesnt even cut off when someone pages or "goes on the tannoy"!

      If you really want to see whats going on look on my channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/RediffusionMusic, or look up the amplifier they are using. It is the TOA 500 Series A-512-E

      Delete
  13. Can any one help me identify a song played in B&Q several times every day please.
    The lyrics go,, "I love you more than two words can say", "everybody loves a circus clown" " can say"
    HELP please, Title or Singer, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering what the sort of 'aquarium' sounding music is that they play so often? I work there, and in the evenings, it's annoyingly relaxing! I'm sure I'll fall asleep to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cameron Birse - RediffusionMusic on YouTube21 November 2012 at 22:54

      Hello. I know exactly what "aquarium" music you are talking about. It's not available for commerical purchase and Imagesound plc own the rights to it. If I am talking about the right track here, it's very ambient with chimes, guitars and shimmering sounds and has very soothing riff to it. It is used as "filler music" when the AHD1 doesn't update properly and it knows the playlist but doesn't have the files to play - so it plays this ambient music for the length of the song that is meant to be playing. The link to a *very poorly recorded* sample of this piece is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3msnSzQYQg

      Hope this helps.
      Thanks,
      Cameron Birse.

      Delete
  15. cliquez ici pour en savoir plus Goyard Dolabuy visitez leur site Web sacs répliques acheter en ligne leur explication Balenciaga Dolabuy

    ReplyDelete