Thursday 23 April 2009

The Garden

Ah! Here for the tour of the garden are you? Good, good. I thought it would be useful for you all to have an idea of what it looks like, seeing as how I'll be letting you know what's been happening, what I've been planting, and so on. Now come on through the house first of all - mind the cats, and excuse the mess - and here we go out of the back door.


Well here we are looking down the garden from near the house. By the summer the rather drab fence on the left will hopefully be jollied up by sweet pea flowers (if the little fellows ever get a move on and grow!). The collection of pots will no doubt proliferate and take over this area as I move things on from their seed trays. Let's venture a little further along....

This patio area used to be half taken up by the shed, but I decided to move that nearer to the house so I could use this area for attractive potted herbs and the like, and for sitting out on when the weather is suitably clement. As you may have noticed, one of the regular visitors to my garden is currently sitting here herself. This is Lilly, one of the neighbour's cats, and a very friendly, dear little thing she is too. She often comes to say hello when I'm gardening or just sitting out here thinking about things.

Here you can see some of the borders a little better, and here again is Lilly, posing for the camera. If there are pictures being taken then she is often most insistent that she should appear in them. In the rather jaunty looking pot to the left of her the strawberries are making a stirling comeback after their winter rest. Now if we go down the steps we can look closer at what is in the borders....

This is what I perhaps rather generously call my pond - and admittedly it may not look much to some. Don't be fooled by it's humble dimensions however, for it contains a wealth of interest for anyone with a modicum of curiosity and wonder. Yes, I do sound rather proud of it, and indeed I am. I created it to add a bit of extra interest to the garden, and to give some of the local wildlife, particularly the frogs, a little more habitat. So I was surprised and very pleased when I found frogspawn in it a little while ago. The strange green splodge you can see in the middle of the pond is the algae covered remains of the frogspawn - most of the tadpoles are now free swimming. Heaven knows what it's going to be like in the garden when all of the little frogs emerge - Lilly will probably spend all of her time chasing them around, with me having to rescue them from her. I can see that her and I are probably going to fall out.

Anyway, where are my manners? Are you thirsty? Yes? Let's get the kettle on - tea and biscuits all round. We'll continue the tour round the garden a little later.

2 comments:

  1. What a delightful looking garden you have Mr Sallow and what a noble looking cat young Lilly seems to be. I do hope she is no bother to the little frogs as they emerge.

    I wonder if at some point I might call round and take tea and biscuits with you? I would of course bring one of my Victoria Sponges, I've been told they are particularly good but papa was always a little biased I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be most welcome to call round for tea whenever is convenient. We could sit outdoors on the newly liberated patio, and I'm sure Lilly would put in an appearance and say hello, particularly if there's someone new for her to meet.

    ReplyDelete